Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Kathryn Coffey: 40 Times I Remember

1. On July 5, 1967 Jim and I sat in a waiting room until a nurse called us to a window. She was holding a blue blanket with someone precious inside. She let us peep, and two blue eyes opened and looked at us. !!! Steve.

2. Mary Ann, John Dan, and I took Young Steve to the rides in Forest Park one day. We enjoyed watching him ride all of the rides, and then we came to the Ferris Wheel! Two of us do not like heights! So, Mary Ann took him riding and they stopped on the very top of the wheel. He held her hand and said, "If my Mommy could see her Little Boy now, she'd cry!"

3. Grandpop put on his fez and bought Shrine Circus tickets for Steve, Carolyn, Jim, Mary Ann, John Dan, and the two of us. When he learned that Carolyn's parents had never seen a Circus, so he put on his fez and bought two more tickets so that all of us could watch Steve enjoy his first circus.

4. One summer lots of relatives died and we attended many funerals. After one of them, we visited my father, County Judge of Henderson County. He put Steve on his tractor and drove him all around his ranch.

5. Steve was having a birthday. The Coffeys were having a reunion at Tom and Agnes' place on the Lake. John Dan and I prepared the cake and ice cream and made about 50 newspaper hats for all of the guests to celebrate Steve's birthday. He had a BIG birthday party!

6. Steve's first camping trip, I guess, was in New Mexico. We all loaded up two or three vehicles and drove to the mountains. We visited Indian Ruins and rode the Train through the Passes. We fed the humming birds and they entertained us. We hiked the trails and had a grand time.

7. Steve's baby sibling was on her way. He and I were sitting in a drab waiting room in Pasadena, Texas waiting for news from the new baby or from Jim or Rennie. No children were allowed above the first floor, so the only news we received was when one of the guys came down to talk. We hadn't heard anything in Forever! and I was uncomfortable about leaving Steve alone with strangers in the waiting room. The TV was cranked up to some sobbing woman. When...... a Cartoon came on, and Steve was involved. I was about to dare to go upstairs when Rennie came down with the news that Lisa was here! HooRay! Saved by the TV.

8. Steve was to enter the first grade in Plano and his family was moving from LaMarque the first day of school. Steve and Lisa stayed with me in Ft.Worth. The first day, Steve and I got up early and he dressed. I prepared him a picnic breakfast to eat in the car. We drove the 60 miles with all of the traffic and arrived in front of the new school. I could see other Mom's leading their children in to the school, and asked Steve if he'd like me to go in with him. He said he didn't need any help. I sat there and watched until he went in the door. Then I cried! First day of school!

9. Later that week, Lisa and John Dan were playing in a park near the school. School had not yet started in Fort Worth, and she was still too young for school. They were stopped and brought home by a policeman who was not sure they should have been there.

10. John Dan, G-Pop, and I camped one summer, and they explored the caves in the New Mexico mountains above Glorieta. We met Jim and family who were staying near Santa Fe in the cabin of a friend. Steve and Lisa camped with us a day or two after their family had to go home. The guys explored the caves.

11. Deep inside Terrero Cave, John Dan lifted Steve up to explore a side path where only Steve could see inside. J.D. spoke theatrically, "Steve, you may be seeing where no one has been since the Indians lived here... Secrets of long ago." Pause. Steve said, "John Dan, there are beer cans in there."

12. We began the 12 hour drive home on Saturday night. Everybody
was tirrrrrred! Steve grumbled a bit. G-Pop told him to watch for Dairy Queens. Expecting there would not be any or that Steve would soon be asleep he promised he would stop for a treat at every D.Q. we passed on the way home! Wow! The trip became exciting. After a few stops, Steve and Lisa settled into their cozy nest and went to sleep. We passed a few D.Q.s without stopping, and finally got home.

13. Steve's parents were out of town on a Saturday a.m., and I was to take him to his Gra Y Football game. We awakened to a stormy, wet morning. I hoped that the event would be cancelled, but Steve said they wouldn't cancel football. He didn't want any breakfast, but I coaxed him into eating a McDonald's sausage and biscuit. Some time along the way, Steve upchucked and felt wretched, but he had to continue. Always be there for the Team! He played in the mud and rain. I sat with another grandparent under an umbrella and watched the game.

14. Graduation from McLean Middle School. Again the Bentons were moving. This time to Wichita Falls. Only Steve and I attended the ceremony, and afterwards we rushed to the Bus Station. He climbed on the bus and waved me "Good-bye"! Again I cried when he was out of sight!

15.I guess Steve began his acting career at Central Christian Church, when he performed as the Star of “The Boy Who Caught the Fish. I proudly attended every show.

16. The next year it was"My Uncle Paul" an original musical his father wrote. Steve sang and played the role to perfection, naturally, and I attended every performance. Proud G-Mom that I am.!

17. Steve must have been 8 years old when he tried out for the leading part in "The Littlest Wiseman" presented by Mary D. Walsh each December. He was chosen to play the leading part. Lisa was a 4 year old angel, and John Dan drove them all to many rehearsals , and he played a shepherd. Some of the older "angels" helped look after Lisa during rehearsals. Years before, the first production at McLean Junior High featured Jim as a wiseman and John Dan as his page.

18. Steve played football in Odessa! Friday Night Football Mania! The team played in the Cowboy Stadium in the play-offs. Many of us enjoyed watching him in that hallowed place! Ha! He was on the number one football team at Odessa Permian. Great day!!

19. The next football season, Steve played in Arkansas. When the team went out of town, Steve always sat on the back seat of the bus, making his statement!

20. Once Steve came to visit his Grandparents at the Hunt County
farm and brought along a buddy for the visit. They roamed the pastures
and decided to sleep "out" on the Waund Pier. I expected to see them
come in about midnight, but they came hiking briskly in the next morning with stories to tell.

21. Before T.C.U. graduation, Mary Ann prepared a meal for us at Hawthorne. The Bentons performed their newly composed song, "Bentons On the Go" holding Laura.

22. We all attended Steve's T.C.U. graduation in the gymnasium. Two month old Baby Laura went along and slept during the whole evening.

23. Before graduation, I guess, Steve came out to Aledo to visit his new Cousin Laura. He may have never held a baby before, but he sat in a rocker and sang to her, and the two cousins had some happy moments together.

I guess I could go on and on, but right now my brain is on empty !!

24. John and I went to visit Carolyn in Virginia. She had a new computer and gave me her old one. John read all of the books on installation, and she gave him a short course in the same. He was able to install the computer in the apartment over the barn in Hunt County, East Texas. About that time, Steve and Maria Jose were living in China! Communicating via computer from rural East Texas to China was unbelievable!! Imagine. !!

25. Steve sent me about 40 questions about my life almost every week. He wanted answers to them all. Sometimes, he asked questions I didn't want to answer. I ignored them, and the next week I'd get the same questions again, but he rephrased them. He has always had 40 questions available!

26. Later on my eightieth birthday he and his family presented me with his compilation of my e-mail answers to his questions as a book with illustrations. I didm’t know I had written an autobiography!

I may not come up with 40. Maybe each one of mine will be worth two!
Funny, how my brain works. I guess that's just the way it is
for someone who is nearing 88 years.

27. I remember the day Steve was born better than I remember the day Emilio
was born. I do remember, though, what a thrill it was to fly with Jim and Carolyn
to Chicago. !! Chicago !! ?? Unbelievable !!

28. They rented a car and we started driving . Driving and driving.
Dark. Driving and driving. Chicago? Not really.

29. At the hospital we were allowed to go into Maria's room, and there was
precious Emilio and Steve. None of that holding him up for viewing in a sterile environment here ! ! I tried to breathe softly not to spread my germs to these precious people!

30. Then I was asked if I wanted to hold HIM !! Did I want to hold him?! Unbelievable!! I think I was sitting in a rocking chair. Maybe I was just rocking in any chair, but I held this precious bundle of Emilio in my arms and crooned and cried softly. My first great grandson in my arms in Chicago! What a THRILL!

1 comment:

rnr said...

Just lovely... I really enjoyed the reading and just love that blogs make all this possible.